Gandhigiri : How Gandhi’s teachings can be the most potent weapons in our daily lives
When your pseudo-desh bhakt friend throws a beer can out of the car window and complains about India being such a trashy place in the same breath - Gandhi Ji at your rescue
We are celebrating Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birthday today. He was an epitome of non-violence, resilience and a tireless struggle, all of which culminated into India gaining her independence from the British rule. Though we have all held Gandhi in irrevocable reverence from forever, is his teachings relevant in the lives we live today? We are a free country, living in the 62nd year of independence, enjoying some fantastic fundamental rights. What good can his teachings do for us, in the present day?
You have all come across numerous Gandhi quotes detailing his philosophies on life and society. To really inculcate all that he preached, here is how to put his knowledge in use in what is, our messed up lives.
- When your parents know about your boyfriend, and nothing can save you from a grueling bashing session. Wait, but Gandhi ji said,
Where there is love, there is life
Tadaa! Nobody, including your own father, can argue with the Father of the Nation!
2. You have got Headspace on your phone. You want to meditate. Your mind needs an unwinding. But where is the motivation? Gandhi ji has got you, fam
Prayer is the key of the morning and the bolt of the evening
Pray, meditate and relax. A bad day at work can be mitigated to some extent with Bapu’s help
3. When your pseudo–desh bhakt friend throws a beer can out of the car window and complains about India being such a trashy place in the same breath – Gandhi Ji at your rescue
Be the change you want to see in the world
Shut him up with one powerful Gandhi quote.
4. When your client is not happy even after multiple iterations. They are breathing down your neck, all the time and when the product is made, they are like, “Yeh nahi chal paaega”
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
Infuse some much-needed wisdom in their muddled up brains with MK’s help.
5. One for your mom. This can be her weapon when she asks you to refill the water bottles at home.
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others
Gotcha, my son!
6. Just one great line to get over all the nasty break-ups
Nobody can hurt me without my permission
You needn’t shout expletives at them. Non-violence not just for the body, for the mind, too!
7. The key to healthy relationships
The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
Now, you know how to never lose the people you really care about – all thanks to Bapu!
8. A typically repulsive day at work? Nobody is taking you seriously? Your ideas are tossed up in the air with some disgusting show of nonchalance. Here, you go
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
Stand strong in the face of all of it, and you are certainly going to win. When Gandhi’s wisdom makes for some pretty solid career advice as well.
9. A failed test, a sunken start-up, a business idea that never took-off. Shattered entrepreneurial dreams? Some food of thought for you.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This has been reinforced by so many successful entrepreneurs. A healthy business environment is the one which can afford to accommodate failed ideas. Freedom to make mistakes is what shapes your success in the long run. Some entrepreneurial inspiration is in store as well.
10. So many kids go through immense emotional trauma by bullies at school. They fail to fight them, because in most cases, their tormentor is physically stronger than them. Women are taught to behave like “women” because they can’t match the physical strength of their male counterparts. Kids or women, you have got something greater than muscle power. Here is what,
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
Without a strong willpower, no amount of physical strength can do any good for you. If you have the will, you have your way, sooner or later.
Everything from some bang on career gyaan to what will help you get over a failed relationship, Gandhi’s teachings are not just to be worshipped but are to be imbibed in our rather banal routines. Great ideas become greater when they are followed, not when they are worshipped! So, buckle up and lead a life by example with the help from Gandhigiri.