Throughout the course of human history, there have been many landmark events that have greatly influenced the path of human progress, and ushered civilisation into a new epoch. These events are part of the story of human spirit and they continue to inspire and motivate us.
Let’s have a look at 5 motivational historical events.
1. The Reformation( 1517-1648) in Europe was a period when the Church lost absolute control on all aspects of society and people began to question clergy and interpret scriptures for themselves. This was a phenomenal event which promoted scientific enquiry, liberty, and modern values of secularism.
2. During the second world war when Jews were being sent to work in concentration camps and eventually to gas chambers, a German industrialist named Oskar Schindler saved the lives of hundreds of Jews by showing them as special skilled workers and bribing the Nazi officials for them. A Steven Spielberg movie by the name ” Schindler’s List” is based on his life. Today 1200 descendants of the people he saved are alive and they call themselves SchindlerJuden in respect of the man who saved their forefathers.
3. Prior to 1965 there were gender segregation Jim Crow laws in USA. On December 1, 1965 a woman named Rosa Parks refused to sit in segregated ” coloured ” section in the bus in Alabama state. She was arrested for civil disobedience. Her act of defiance is celebrated as pivotal movement in the US civil rights.
4. In 1981, Pope John Paul 2 survived an assassination attempt. Four days later he forgave his would-be assassin. This act of forgiveness will always be remembered.
5. In 1989 there was a massive pro democracy protest at Tiananmen Square, Beijing China, which was led by student activists. A powerful image of a man standing in front of the tank surfaced which is still a symbol of resistance against state oppression, and indomitable human courage.
Trivia and history buff. Likes watching movies and reading fiction.